Thursday, July 21, 2011

peals of thunder and lightening...

“On the morning of the third day there were peals of thunder and lightening, and a heavy cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast, so that all the people in the camp trembled. But Moses led the people out of the camp to meet God...” Exodus 19:16,17

On my morning walk, I pondered this passage from the Old Testament. There is another passage that is more familiar, where God appears to Moses in the gentle breeze. In today's reading, He chooses to make his presence known through the fireworks and concussions of a storm. Is it any wonder that the people trembled?
I remember a specific spring storm full of hail, lightening and wind. Dragging our daughter out of bed and into a closet, I literally hunkered down with her in my arms. I trembled as I listened to the loud drumbeat of the hail. Our daughter slept through it.
Even in the people's trembling, Moses led them out of the security of their camp to meet God. I believe He is present at all times and in all places. Yet, there are times when I am more attuned to His presence. This past month, we have left the security of “our camp” to travel to Tennessee, Louisiana, and Florida. Taking the opportunity to just “be”, I found God in the beauty of fireworks seen from my brother's back porch...in the music of the trumpet on the streets of New Orleans...in the crash of the waves on the beach in Destin. Yes, God is in the stillness yet when we listen, we can find Him in the thunder and trumpet blast.
When have you sensed His presence in your travels? In the storms of your life? Do you find Him more in the quiet or in the noise? Pax et bonum...cjt

No comments:

Post a Comment