Wednesday, July 6, 2011

...heaven is at hand

"As you go, make this proclamation: ‘The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.’”  Mt. 10:7
     I walk every morning to strengthen my body and clear my mind.  My iphone is always with me.  It gives me the security of knowing that I can call for help if I get too far away or get a cramp in my foot.  I love the fact that I can listen to music or podcasts to keep my mind busy.  Lately, I have been listening to the podcast "pray as you go".  It is about twelve minutes long, starts with music, a reading for the day, questions for reflection and background music to allow space for reflection.  Listening to it has been a great way to exercise my spirit while exercising my body.
     Today's reading was from the Gospel of Matthew.  "The Kingdom of heaven is at hand"  or "is near".  I thought about how heaven...or hell...really does start here and now.  There are a lot of dimensions to that thought.  Sometimes it is obvious...heaven is when I hold my new grandson...it is when my fourteen year old puts her head on my shoulder "just because"...it is hugging my husband after being away for several days.  But heaven - being in God's presence - is at hand even in the less obvious.  All we have to do is make ourselves aware of His presence.  Easier said than done!
     Just for today, can I recall God's presence - heaven - in the midst of the interstate construction traffic?  Can I experience heaven in cleaning the bathroom?  in the hundred degree heat?  Where do you experience heaven this day?   Pax et bonum....

1 comment:

  1. I like this. I'll try a little bit harder today to find it :)

    ReplyDelete