Friday, February 24, 2012

Diary of a Prayer Jar: Jars of Sorrow

Art or Craft?  I have always thought of myself as more a craftsman than an artist.  My love of pottery is for its function.   My cups and bowls have very obvious jobs - holding cereal or coffee or popcorn.  The craft of pottery is a skill that starts with mud and ends in function.


But Art?  That word has always rather intimidated me.  I can't draw stick figures or "carry a tune in a bucket".  In mandatory classes at school, I have even had teachers rather "scorn" my projects.  It is funny how someone's opinion given decades ago can color one's self perception.
Our son, Andrew, can look at an object and draw it beautifully.  Our middle son, Mark, has just been  accepted into grad school for opera performance for his wonderful voice and passion for music.  Catherine loves Shakespeare and acting.  My hubby, David, can pick up a piece of wood and carve a saint.  Me, well, I do functional pottery! 

.
But what exactly is art?  There is the question.  In study, I find that art is defined as "the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others."  Art is something that stimulates an individual's thoughts, emotions, beliefs, or ideas through the senses.  It conveys an idea or emotion. Perhaps, finally, with these prayer jars, I have created a piece of art.


The prayer jars are a marriage between craft and art...between function and beauty.  My hope is that they became a touchstone for their owner, a reminder to pray.  Some use the jars to hold the names of loved ones or acquaintances in need of intercessory prayer.  Others write their own needs and place them inside the jar.


 As the past few blogs have described, these jars have been inspired by the beauty of Italy, the love of friends, gifts from loved ones and passages from the Bible.   Carving the crown of thorns was the most time consuming, but the cause for much reflection for me.  They remind me over and over that Christ knows our sorrows, our sufferings.   A slender strand of leather has been added to the jars to hold symbols of his suffering...leather for the whip, a thorn for his crown, and a nail for his crucifixion.   For a reason that we still do not fully understand, he chose to become man and take suffering on himself.  In so doing, he redeemed us...he saved us. 


The thorns twisted in agony and pain break through into hope.  Yes, he was beaten, mocked, crucified and died.  But that is not the end of his story.  He broke through and resurrected.  He ascended to heaven and sent his Holy Spirit.  He remains with his people to the ends of the earth and through out all time.  Where is God in the midst of our suffering and loss?  In the midst of us.  By our side.


May Lent 2012 bring you hope and a renewed awareness of God's presence in your life.  May you be strengthened and receive joy.  Pax et bonum, cjt

No comments:

Post a Comment